Telangana

Electric vehicle explodes; claims octogenarian’s life

attery manufacturer for the mishap.

Nizamabad: In a horrific incident, an 80-year-old man died when the battery of an electric scooter exploded in their house in Nizamabad town on Tuesday night. His wife and grandson suffered burn injuries.

A case has been registered under Section 304-a (causing death due to rash or negligent act) of the IPC against the manufacturer, Pure EV.

The deceased has been identified as B Ramaswamy. His son, B Prakash, a tailor, owned the electric two-wheeler.
Prakash removed the battery of the scooter on Tuesday night, and put it on charge in the living room of their house, where his parents, Ramaswamy and Kamalamma along with their grandson Kalyan slept close to where the battery was being charged.

The battery exploded at around 4 am, triggering flames. While Kamalamma and Kalyan suffered burn injuries, Ramaswamy succumbed to burns. Prakash and his wife Krishnaveni’s hands also sustained burns while trying to douse the flames. Times of India reported.

Prakash blamed poor quality maintained by EV battery manufacturer for the mishap. He sought legal action alleging that while manufacturing the electric vehicle battery, standards were not followed and due to that his family suffered.

We welcome your comments, questions, corrections and additional information relating to this article. Your comments may take some time to appear. Please be aware that off-topic comments will be deleted. If you need specific help with your account, feel free to contact our Support Team. Thank you.

Back to top button