Ottawa: The main suspect in the stabbing spree that claimed lives of 10 people in Canada on Sunday, has died after arrest, police said.
With both suspects in the attack now dead and after over 120 witness interviews conducted thus far, police said the motive for the attack “may never be known” as the officers met the press.
Myles Sanderson died after experiencing “medical distress” after his arrest on Wednesday, police said, without giving further detail.
Police said there were signs “the now-deceased suspect” was injured before his arrest, as per a BBC report.
Initial local reports on Wednesday (Canada time), when he was spotted near Wakaw, indicated he may have had an injury.
A vehicle was broken into in Weldon, after the attacks on Sunday, and it appeared he may have stolen a first-aid kit, as per local media.
Police held a press conference shortly after the development in the case but declined to comment further on how his brother Damien, who is accused of helping in the murders, died earlier this week. His body was found on Monday, and police say they suspect his brother may have killed him.
The police said more would be revealed as the investigation continues, and urged the public to continue to share information pertaining to the case.
Myles Sanderson died “shortly after” his arrest, RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said at the presser.
She refused to describe his manner of death, only saying it was due to “medical distress” and adding that life-saving measures were performed by police and ambulance workers
He confirmed to police “through verbal identification” that he was the fugitive they were looking for after he was stopped driving on a rural highway between Prince Albert and Saskatoon, the media was told at conference.
A knife was found inside his stolen white Chevrolet Avalanche, and he was the only occupant of the vehicle.
Blackmore said it’s traumatic for victims to recount memories. The investigation has so far included more than 100 interviews with victims and witnesses and members of the public.
“People want to understand what happened here and how that unfolded,” she said.
She acknowledged this was just the first step in victims’ healing process and that many questions remain unanswered.
“They can rest easy tonight knowing that Myles Sanderson is no longer a threat to them,” she said.