Doha/Gaza: Qatar has announced that Israel and Hamas have agreed to extend the current humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip for an additional two days.
Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed Al Ansari on Monday said that his country hopes “the humanitarian pause will lead to a permanent ceasefire in Gaza and an end to the killing of civilians”, Xinhua news agency reported, citing a statement carried by the Qatar News Agency.
The truce extension was also confirmed by Hamas. It said in a statement that the temporary ceasefire would be extended for another two days “under the same conditions as listed in the previous deal”.
Mediated by Qatar, Egypt, and the US, Israel and Hamas reached a four-day ceasefire agreement last week, which entails a halt to hostilities in Gaza, more humanitarian aid into the Palestinian enclave, and the release of 50 Israeli hostages held by Hamas in exchange for some 150 Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails.
The initial truce deal took effect on Friday and is set to expire on Tuesday.
Since the Israel-Hamas conflict erupted on October 7, Qatar has been making mediation efforts along with Egypt and the US between the two warring parties to secure the release of hostages and de-escalate the situation in the Palestinian enclave.